Registered DIETITIAN Nutritionist
Hello and welcome! I’m Sandy
I am honored that you are here.
Let me guide you as your GPS to better health. When we work together, you will be supported with the tools, a practical and optimistic approach as I help you achieve your goals and develop sustainable habits to live a healthy and balanced life.
No matter your story or history, you can start leading a better life today!
“We only have one body and one mind, taking care of them will not only determine how long we live, rather how well we live”.
More about me
- I have been featured
inmultiple TV and radio shows and even had my own segment in Spanish Radio for a year 🙂
- When I am not working with patients one-on-one you might find me doing Corporate Wellness presentations or other Speaking Gigs.
- I enjoy all types of fitness activities, from cycling (my favorite!), trail running (second favorite), yoga, HIIT workouts, hiking with my hubby and taking a walk with my dog Paco. I also enjoy preparing a yummy meal, reading a personal development book and spending time with friends or my little family.
- I am bilingual and bicultural – Si Hablo Espanol!
- I am an Identical Twin and I also am a stepmom to fraternal Twins! Yes!! Twinning is winning!
Just so you all know, I didn’t grow up thinking I would be a Dietitian.
Actually, I wanted to be a Doctor- either a Pediatrician or OBGYN- but let me back up a little.
My interest in Nutrition/ Fitness- where it all began. Shortly after moving back from Mexico, where I grew up, I found myself gaining all sorts of weight, went from 100# to 138# at 5’1. I was chubby, very uncomfortable with myself and had major body issues. It turns out the move back to the U.S. wasn’t merely a change of country but a total change of lifestyle. In Mexico, I was really active and eating healthy foods homemade by my Mom, to having little to no activity and eating ice cream, donuts, and hamburgers. During that time through High School and first years at Diablo Valley College (DVC), I had a love-hate relationship with food. I was so confused that at one point I just figured I am just going to stop eating. Well, that didn’t go very well because I was so hungry but beyond physical hunger, I was really hungry to find a healthy way to lose weight! I finished my AA and transferred to San Francisco State University with hopes of getting a degree in biochemistry and then going to medical school. At this point my interests were working out, reading food labels and researching nutrition. I had become a personal trainer and was already helping people make healthy choices and giving them advice. One day while riding my bike over the Golden Gate Bridge, I had a big AHA moment… I had to go through my own struggle with food and weight to be able to help others!! I was also obsessed with biology and anatomy and thus was intrigued to perhaps switch my major.
As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to become a doctor, but now with my new found loves: Fitness and Nutrition – it felt out of sync to go to school to treat sick people when I wanted to prevent them being sick in the first place! I wanted to pursue Fitness and Nutrition but I didn’t know where to go. At this point, there was only a handful of “nutritionist’s” out there. So I researched…it had become my mission and journey in life to learn more about Nutrition on my own but I wondered if there was even a major. Thankfully I found Registered Dietitian, Kathy Napoli, that provided the guidance I was looking for. I asked her what is the difference between a Nutrition Degree and a Dietetics Degree and made up my mind to immediately change my major to Dietetics!! I have never regretted it!
Why Private Practice:
Fast forward a couple of years, when I was working part-time as a personal trainer and part-time as a clinical dietitian. I loved that since I was per diem I was learning EVERY aspect (too many to mention here) of Clinical Nutrition, but I knew I wanted to do more to help people than merely working in a hospital! Hello, that’s why I didn’t want to be a doctor in the first place… so my entrepreneurial spirit started purculating. I pondered opening my own private practice and knew it would be hard as I didn’t have any knowledge of how to run a practice, let alone my OWN business. There weren’t many tools out there but despite the odds, I launched my Private Practice in 2007.
Education & Certifications:
- ACSM – Health Fitness Instructor 2008 – 2016
- SFSU Graduate Certificate/ Dietetic Internship in Dietetics 2004
- SFSU BS Dietetics 2002
- SFSU Minor in Kinesiology 2002
- ISSA, Personal Trainer Certification 2000- Present
- AFAA Group Exercise Instructor 2000 – 2010
- Schwinn Certification – Spinning Instructor 2002 – 2012
- Continuing education on topics/ Areas of Expertise
- Functional & Integrative Nutrition
- Sports Nutrition
- Pediatric Nutrition
- Eating Psychology – Mindful and Intuitive Eating
- Gastrointestinal Disease
- Hormone & Inflammatory Medical Nutrition Therapies
Professional Experience :
- Private Practice Dietitian at SC Nutrition 2007 – 2010; 2013 -Present
- Co-Founder at RDdetox 2010
- Corporate Wellness Programs Speaker & Presenter 2010- Present
- Wellness Concepts
- Balancing Life Issues
- Spin/Kickboxing Instructor – Bally Total Fitness 2000-2007
- Personal Trainer –
24 hourFitness 1999-2003
- Director of Nutrition Services | Clinical Dietetics, Windsor Manor Rehab Center Clinical
- Public Health Dietitian, Brookside Community Health Center
- Clinical Dietitian, Alta Bates Summit Medical Center & California Pacific Medical Center
- Al Aire Con El Terrible – Quarterly radio segment, 2015- present
porla Manana – Quartelynutrition segment, 2008- 2013 (National Spanish show)
- Chanel 13- Sacramento and Co segments, 2008- 2010
- Univision SF – Morning show guest speaker, 2008, 2012, 2013
- Univision Sacramento – segments throughout, 2008- 2010
- Mt Diablo
trailHalf Marathon – 4th Place AG Nov 2016
- Lake Tahoe Relay (2011, 3rd Place)
- Boston Marathon Finisher, 2008
- Lake Tahoe Marathon Finisher, 2008
- California International Marathon, 2007
- Tri4real Olympic triathlon, 3rd place, 2007
- Triathlon at Pacific
Grove ,Olympic Distance, 8th place, 2007
- Wildflower Triathlon, Olympic Distance, 2007
- Wildflower Half Iron Man triathlon 2005
- San Francisco Marathon Finisher 2006
- Nike Women Marathon Finisher 2005
- Rock and Roll Marathon Finisher 2004
- Best of the Bay and Bike against the Odds Centuries.
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics
- Commission for Dietetic Registration
- International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionist
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Wellness and Fitness Entrepreneurs
Get in Touch!
1776 Ygnacio Valley Rd,
Walnut Creek CA 94598